You'll immediately feel the effects if you're vaping or smoking Delta 8. But edibles like gummies are more complicated: Your body needs time to digest, metabolize, and absorb the cannabinoid compounds. Depending on your metabolism, body weight, and many other factors, it could take well over an hour or two hours before cannabis edible effects are noticeable.
Inhaling sends the Delta-8-THC — which has just been activated by the heat you applied — and other non-intoxicating cannabinoids directly to your bloodstream and brain.
How Long Does It Take THC To Kick In?
- After traveling down your esophagus, the Delta-8 gummy lands in the stomach.
- Once in the stomach, your tasty treat is digested by acids and enzymes that break it down into its parts, including Delta-8 T.H.C.
- Next, the Delta-8 is absorbed through the stomach's lining and then to the liver.
- After arriving in the liver, the Delta-8-THC is transformed into 11-Hydroxy-THC; this type of THC is much more potent than Delta-8-THC and Delta-9-THC; it also can cross the blood-brain barrier much faster and more readily than THC that's been inhaled.
The effects of any cannabis gummies will most certainly take longer to kick in than smoking or inhaling — but when they do, the results are much more substantial.
How Much THC Should I Eat?
Patience is a virtue and a necessity when you're eating edibles. Whether you're new to all forms of Delta-8-THC or just new to edibles, you should start with the lowest dose possible. Consider cutting your edibles in half to create and... save the rest for later. When ingesting a Delta-8-THC oil, always use calibrated droppers; this way, you can measure your dose with precision.
Also, never start with an entire dropper, no matter what the bottle says. Measure your oil to read 1/4ml (or fill the dropper to the first line on the bottom, closest to the tip). A quarter of the dropper (.25ml) is perfect for testing your Delta 8 oil potency.
By many people's standards, 2 mg of Delta-8-THC is considered a "low" or "micro-dose," while 5mg of Delta-8-THC is a standard dose. For those experienced with edibles, 10mg is a strong starting point with excellent pain relief and deep relaxation.
Should I Eat Before Consuming A THC Edible?
Whether or not you have food in your stomach affects the absorption time and intensity of the THC. It is advisable to eat a snack before consuming any cannabis edibles. It is a good idea to have regular snacks on hand after taking edibles, mainly because it is hard to be satisfied with just one gummy or brownie, especially if they taste outstanding!
When Should I Eat Less Of a THC Edible?
If your body has never experienced the effects of THC before, that doesn't mean you should avoid edibles. Many people prefer edibles when compared to smoke and vaping. However, start with the smallest amount of D8 possible—2 mg; if you're eating D8 gummies, bite your gummy into small pieces—and wait up to two hours for the effects. You'll be glad you did.
Drink water, eat snacks, relax while waiting, and always listen to your body. That said, even if you have smoked and vaped before, you should expect different effects from cannabis edibles, which are slower but stronger.
What if I Accidentally Overeat?
It is easy to overeat accidentally, and it can be a very uncomfortable ride. For this reason, we have written down some steps you can take when you realize that...you might have bitten off more than you can chew!
- Step 1 - Drink lots of water, relax, and avoid driving. The effects will go away; it just takes a bit of time. This, too, shall pass! Always remember that when you find yourself head-on with edible overconsumption. No matter how bad it gets, you will return to Earth.
- Step 2 - Always have some CBD products close by. Try to have some potent CBD edibles nearby, and make sure they don't contain any CBD. CBD has been known to temper the effects of THC and can help slow down the panic feeling people get when they are too high.
- Step 3 - Find ways to distract yourself from thinking about your bad D8 trip. Going on a power walk works for some people, watching a favorite movie where you know every line work for people. Besides, drawing or diving into some creative outlet helps people forget they are high. You have to remember it is all in your head, so as long as the high is there, find some way to embrace it.
- Step 4 - Sleep. Drink some water and tuck yourself into bed. You'll wake up refreshed, and though you may be a little groggy or "off" the following day, it will dissipate quickly. It's not like an alcohol hangover at all.
All forms of THC edibles have come a long way since becoming mainstream. They taste much better; the packaging is top-of-the-line, and the flavor profiles include famous chefs, bakers, baristas, chocolatiers, and cicerone.
There is nothing not to like about THC edibles. But, you need to gain the proper knowledge and know-how for consuming edibles to avoid being in for a bumpy ride. We hope this article was informative and turns what could have been a disaster of a day/night into one of the best adventures you've ever experienced.